As background to Chris Huggins’ post (below) on the regional significance of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights recent decision on indigenous land rights in Kenya, readers are referred to the concise and comprehensively hyperlinked overview provided by the Jurist website (hats off to Andrew Solomon for the tip). The decision itself (Communication 276/2003) weighs in at eighty pages but merits the reading – I’ll post tomorrow with some observations on its significance for international law and practice.
A blog on:
-housing, land and property (HLP) issues
-human rights law and humanitarian policy
-transitional justice and rule of law
-early recovery and development
-self-determination and minority rights.
Open and notorious since February 2010.
Suggested citation: Author's Name, "Name of Post", TerraNullius Weblog (posted on [date]), available at [URL], accessed on [date].
Antipodean caveat: The author does not condone imperialist land-grabbing under cover of obscure latin phrases.
- Lost in transition – EU financed legal aid programme between Serbia and Kosovo falters
- Sargsyan and Chiragov: The Strasbourg Court takes aim at frozen conflicts?
- Context really is everything
- TN takes a sabbatical at six
- Property issues in Libya: A reminder that the road to sustainable peace still goes via root causes
Recent Posts (roll over for more info)
- As a son of Cincinnati (well ... Northern Kentucky) this does my heart good. twitter.com/LibyaLiberty/s… 4 months ago
- Great privilege to work with @EHRAC_hq and @PhilipLeach5 on Nagorno Karabakh restitution cases: ehrac.org.uk/news/ehrac-rul… 7 months ago
- Lost in transition – EU financed legal aid programme between Serbia and Kosovo falters terra0nullius.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/los… 9 months ago
- Sargsyan and Chiragov: The Strasbourg Court takes aim at frozen conflicts? terra0nullius.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/sar… 1 year ago
- Context really is everything terra0nullius.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/con… https://t.co/fCp0JnvE8U 1 year ago
Tagsaccess to justice ACHPR adjudication admin Africa agriculture Arab Spring Azerbaijan Bolivia bosnia Brookings Cambodia Chile China climate change coe Colombia compensation croatia customary law Cyprus democracy development DID disaster durable solutions ECHR Egypt EU europe FAO forced evictions forest management gender georgia Haiti hlp housing humanitarian aid humanitarian response human rights IDI IDMC IDPs indigenous groups informal settlements Iraq Israel Kenya kosovo Kyrgyzstan land-grabbing land-rush land disputes land reform land rights Liberia Libya local integration MENA minorities natural resources NRC partition pastoralists peacebuilding Pinheiro Principles protracted displacement reconstruction refugees reparations resettlement restitution return rule of law Russia self-determination Serbia shelter state land Sudan Sweden Syria tenure security transitional justice Ukraine UN UNHCR USA World Bank
- 92,646 hits
- About Rhodri C. Williams
- Supreme Court of Brazil to rule over Quilombo communities’ rights to land – arguments for a protective approach
- Blood, soil and cinnamon buns
- Defining communities in Colombia: the Afro-descendant communities of Curvaradó and Jiguamiandó and communal land rights
- Land reform in Colombia: One step forward, two steps back